Friday 15 June 2012

Compassion for the needy and reverence for the holy

Namo Tassa Bagawato Arahato Sama Sam Buddha Sa

I like to read and I picked up this habit in college. My classmates brought novels of all kinds and there was a culture of reading. The book that touched my heart the most was 'Catcher in the Rye' probably because it had a lot of suffering. Anyway, the unanimous choice in philosophical context were Ayn Rand's books, the likes of Atlas Shrugged and Fountainhead.

I read Atlas Shrugged and was quite moved by it. I don't remember much of it now however what I do remember is the impact it had on me. There was a strong emphasis on finding your purpose in life and striving hard to achieve it. To make your identity in life, to be someone. So much so that someone like me, for whom 4 years of college was picnic, could easily become restless in looking for what to do and how to do what?


She strongly discouraged begging as someone who is so lazy as to not find employment should not be given a single penny. Further, if beggar feels discouraged then he may start looking for alternatives and that in turn will further his development. So a good start point is to discourage beggars.


Buddha's teaching on the other hand is in stark contrast. He would have said "let's sit down and take a closer look at 'identity' or 'self' or 'I' ". What does I represent? There's the body which has which has sense organs. Based on sense organs and their interaction with objects from outer world, there arises contact that gives rise to feeling. So when you are having an ice-cream, your sense of taste comes in contact with ice-cream and you may perhaps experience a pleasant feeling. Based on feelings you form perceptions such as "chocolate ice-cream is delicious". Also, you have some volitions or desires to do something. Something like "Let me get an ice-cream, it's hot!". The fifth attribute is the consciousness or the awareness. In our example it would be "the consciousness of taste". So when the consciousness of sense organ, the sense organ itself and the outer object come together, it forms contact. "That's pretty much it. I can't seem to find "I" or "self" anywhere. Why don't you try and see for yourself?"

I will enumerate some "self" thoughts:  "I ought to a have a big house, a big car, and I ought to be the CEO or Vice President by the time I am 50. I should definitely do a vacation in Switzerland or Europe every year. I deserve this and I don't deserve that. I should always be a winner and never a loser".
For me, life has become much more peaceful when I dropped the "I". I don't have to worry about making plans, setting objectives in life and constantly struggling within to achieve them. Even in life, if one were to lose a lot of material possessions, one would worry less if one drops the "I". It is a cause of lot of stress.

I will narrate another story as I remember. Lord Buddha at some point of time returned to his native kingdom, where he was earlier a prince. In the morning, he was out for alms round when the news reached his father, the King Pasenadi. The king hurriedly came towards Lord Buddha and pleaded "Son, don't embarrass me by seeking alms. No one in our lineage of kings has ever done this. I've enough food in the my palace to feed you and your fellow Bhikkus" To which the Buddha replied "I do not fall in your lineage of kings. My order of monks seeks alms from lay people to feed themselves." I'll quote a sutta from the texts here.


Bhojana Sutta

A Meal

Translated from the Pali by Thanissaro Bhikkhu
For free distribution only

"In giving a meal, the donor gives five things to the recipient. Which five? He/she gives life, beauty, happiness, strength, and quick-wittedness. Having given life, he/she has a share in long life, either human or divine. Having given beauty, he/she has a share in beauty, either human or divine. Having given happiness, he/she has a share in happiness, either human or divine. Having given strength, he/she has a share in strength, either human or divine. Having given quick-wittedness, he/she has a share in quick-wittedness, either human or divine. In giving a meal, the donor gives these five things to the recipient."
The prudent person giving life, strength,
 beauty, quick-wittedness --
the wise person, a giver of happiness --
 attains happiness himself.
Having given life, strength, beauty,
 happiness, and quick-wittedness,
he has long life and status
 wherever he arises.

You may argue "How could Ayn Rand have known the ways of Bhikkus? Do you know the ways of Ubuntu clan of Africa? In her Utopia, there would be no beggars even though it entails hardships for them. Haven't you seen Slumdog millionaire and how poor beings gets sucked into this social evil?
Also, how can you compare Bhikkus with beggars, the contemplatives and the needy? Isn't it like comparing apples and oranges?"

To which I'd reply "People give to Bhikkus out of faith and this is a practice deeply embedded in Buddhist communities. Anyway my intention is to only arouse in your heart compassion for the needy and reverence for the holy!"

As for the impact, Buddha's teaching have had a pretty calming effect on me. Since it has had such influence, I've drawn more closer to it effortlessly and seamlessly. The teachings have completed satiated my sense of mind, which by the way is the sixth sense, such that I'd look no further.